It’s barbecue season! Mindy Lockard will show you how to turn a watermelon into a fun and healthy make-and-take that’s perfect for potlucks and doesn’t require a dish.
“This is a recipe from my childhood,” Mindy says. “I remember being so proud of it when we arrived at a barbecue. It’s become a summer staple for our family—and it’s always a huge hit. The best part is that I don’t have to burden a hostess with an extra dish or worry about grabbing something before we leave.”
full-sized watermelon (not personal-sized), washed or rinsed
fresh berries, rinsed
fresh peaches, cut into bite-sized pieces
fresh mint, chopped small
ice cream scoop or melon baller
1. Draw the basket outline on the melon, including the handle.
2. Using the knife, carefully cut the basket shape, leaving a lot of extra room/rind for error/decorative carving.
3. Scoop the melon out of the rind using a melon baller or ice cream scoop.
4. If desired, cut a decorative pattern into the basket and handle.
5. In a large bowl, combine the melon balls with bite-sized peaches or other fruits of your choice, along with berries and fresh mint.
6. Carefully add the fruits to the watermelon basket.
Tip: Wondering how to pick the perfect watermelon? Check out this how-to video or ask your Market Produce clerk to help you choose!