Tired of feeling stressed out on Thanksgiving? Although cooking all of the sides for a holiday meal from scratch can be fun and delicious, it can also add an extra burden to the person cooking. Luckily, Mindy Lockard’s recipe for cornbread stuffing muffins are simple, tasty and can be made the night before. All you need for this recipe is overbaked, dried out cornbread, apples, veggies, seasoning and broth, then you’re ready to make this easy alternative to traditional stuffing. Just pop the pre-cooked muffins in the oven to warm them back up when you are ready to enjoy them!
What is stuffing?
Stuffing is used to fill veggies or poultry, like the traditional Thanksgiving turkey. It is also commonly eaten as a side dish. Turkey stuffing usually consists mainly of dried breadcrumbs, onion, celery and herbs, but can also contain nuts and fruits. Mindy’s muffin pan alternative uses cornbread and includes apples, which add a tart and fruity flavor to the stuffing.
Accommodating specialty diets
Expecting Thanksgiving guests who follow a special diet? This recipe can easily be converted for those who are gluten-free by using a gluten-free cornbread mix. If you need to make this recipe vegetarian, just replace the Pacific Foods turkey broth with vegetable broth.
One of the best aspects of this recipe is that it can be made the night before and then re-heated before the meal. This takes away at least some of the stress of cooking on Thanksgiving – giving you more time to enjoy the meal and your friends and family. Want to save even more time? Visit your Market Kitchen to pre-order ready-to-heat-and-eat holiday meal entrées and sides, including stuffing options.
Stuffing in Muffin Pan Recipe
Wild Harvest olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
2 apples, grated
2 cans green chiles
1 ½ T poultry seasoning
1 box cornbread, overbaked, dried out, cooled and crumbled
1 ½ c + 1 ½ c Pacific Foods turkey broth
muffin tin, well-buttered
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat
- Once oil is hot, add onions and celery
- When onions are translucent, add apples, green chiles, poultry seasoning and salt
- Fold together until all of the ingredients are mixed well, especially the apples
- Add half of the cornbread and half of the turkey broth
- Mix well, then add the rest of the cornbread and turkey broth
- Mix thoroughly, then let cool
- With clean hands, form round stuffing balls, then place into muffin tin cups
- Bake 30-35 min, until golden brown
- Let cool, then transfer to airtight container
- On Thanksgiving, re-heat after turkey is finished and enjoy
If you like this recipe, you may also like our online recipes for Apple Brined Turkey with Sausage, Apple and Walnut Stuffing, Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing or Spicy Turkey Gravy.