If you have no room left for pie after all the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and rolls, then Mindy Lockard’s upside-down pumpkin and apple mason jar pies are the perfect solution! These little pie cups are just the right size for when you are stuffed. The best part is that they can be made ahead to make room for the turkey in the oven on Thanksgiving Day. These pie jars are a little slice – or more like little spoonfuls – of heaven!
Enjoy them your way
Mindy’s pumpkin and apple pie jars can be customized based on preference. Use a pre-made pumpkin pie spice blend, or make your own using ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. You can also choose to make your own pie crust, instead of using store-bought crust. Not a fan of pumpkin pie? Replace the pumpkin pie puree with butternut squash or sweet potato puree for an alternative fall flavor that’s still perfect for Thanksgiving.
To finish your pies, add a dollop of whipped cream or enjoy them with a scoop of locally produced creamy vanilla ice cream.
Pumpkin Mason Jar Pies and Apple Mason Jar Pies Recipe
coconut oil or butter
4 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
½ t + 3 t pumpkin pie spice
1 c granulated sugar
29 oz can pumpkin puree
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
3 t vanilla extract
1 t salt
2 pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
12, 4 oz mason jars
2 large mixing bowls
deep baking dish
1. Pre-heat oven to 425°
2. Rub or spray mason jars generously with oil or butter
3. Add apples, ½ t pumpkin pie spice and sugar to bowl, then stir together and set aside
4. In a separate bowl, add pumpkin puree, condensed milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and 3 t pumpkin pie spice; mix until smooth and creamy
5. Fill 6 jars ¾ full with pumpkin mixture and 6 jars generously full with apple mixture
6. On large board, roll out pie crusts
7. Using jar lid or ring, cut out pie crusts
9. Lay pie crust rounds over the top of each jar and pinch around edges of jar
10. Brush tops with beaten egg, then pierce with fork
11. Place pumpkin jars in deep baking dish, then add water to the baking dish
12. Bake pumpkin jars in oven 25 min
13. Place apple jars on cooking sheet
14. Reduce temperate to 325°; bake both apple and pumpkin jars 20 min
15. Remove jars from baking sheet and water bath and allow to cool. Cook up to two days in advance and store in refrigerator.
16. Top with ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!