Looking for new ways to eat Thanksgiving leftovers? Mindy Lockard’s Turkey Pot Pie recipe is a delicious way enjoy any extra turkey and sides. Simply simmer some turkey broth with leftover veggies and turkey and top with stuffing to create this stress-free dish. You can even plan ahead and make extra stuffing or Mindy’s Stuffing in Muffin Pans recipe to ensure you have enough. The day after Thanksgiving has never tasted so good!
What should I put in my turkey pot pie?
Use any veggie leftovers to make this pot pie recipe – carrots, corn, peas, etc.! Mindy uses onions, celery, corn, sweet potatoes and peas. Green beans, asparagus or broccoli would be great additions, as well. You can also skip the turkey and use vegetable broth to make a vegetarian version.
What kind of turkey should I use?
This recipe tastes best with a combination of dark and light meat, but you can always use one or the other. While any type of turkey works for this pot pie, using high-quality, all natural turkey is recommended. We have a variety of ready-to-cook and pre-cooked turkey’s available at your Market. Although you will likely have leftovers no matter what, you might want to consider making sure that you have enough turkey ahead of time. See all our available turkey options here.
Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
3 T olive oil
3 T flour
2 onions, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
8 c Pacific Foods turkey stock (or sub with chicken or vegetable stock)
5 c veggies, such as corn, sweet potatoes and peas
salt and pepper
turkey, light and dark meat
herbs, for garnish
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil
- Once olive oil starts to warm, add flour and mix well
- Stir until golden brown
- Toss in onions and celery and cook until soft
- Whisk in turkey broth, pouring in slowly to prevent base from getting lumpy
- Add veggies and continue to stir until sweet potatoes and other veggies are soft
- Season with salt and pepper
- Toss in turkey
- Simmer on low heat until stock is reduced and thickened, approx. 30-40 min.
- Ladle into a baking dish, then top with leftover stuffing or leftover Stuffing in Muffin Pans
- Bake at 350° for approx. 30 min or until the top is golden brown
- Remove from oven and garnish with herbs
If you like this recipe, you may also like our online recipes for Apple Brined Turkey with Sausage, Apple and Walnut Stuffing, Turkey and Vegetable Pot Pie or Southwest Chicken Pot Pie.