Homemade granola is a versatile treat that your kids will love for breakfast, an after-school snack or even dessert. The best part? It’s healthy and they won’t even know it! To make this wholesome goodness, all you need is a few basic ingredients, like oats, coconut oil and maple syrup, as well as your favorite nuts and dried fruits. Complete it with locally made yogurt or ice cream and fresh fruit for a yummy parfait or sweet treat.
What should I put in my granola?
Making granola at home is great because you can have it any way you like! To make this recipe your own, use your favorite nuts, like almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts or cashews, as well as your favorite dried fruits, like pineapple, mango, berries and apricots. Take it even further by adding other add-ins, such as pumpkin, flax, sesame or sunflower seeds, honey, chocolate chips, coconut shavings, puffed rice or raisins. What you add to your granola can increase your intake of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and healthy fats.
Ways to eat granola
The most common way to eat granola is with yogurt and fresh fruit to make a parfait. But you can also eat granola with vanilla ice cream, chia seed pudding, dairy or alternative milk, in a smoothie or on its own! This snack is great because it can be enjoyed any time of day, any way you’d like.
½ c coconut oil, melted
⅓ c maple syrup
2 t vanilla extract
3 c old-fashioned oats
2 t cinnamon, ground
1 t sea salt
1 c nuts, chopped (such as almonds and hazelnuts)
1 ½ c dried fruit (such as pineapple, mango, berries and apricots)
Tillamook yogurt or ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract
- In a larger bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, salt, nuts and dried fruit
- Pour wet ingredients into dried mixture
- Stir until completely combined
- Transfer granola to parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Bake 20 min, mixing the granola occasionally for even toasting
- Let granola cool, then transfer to an airtight container
- Enjoy in a parfait with yogurt or ice cream and fresh fruit