Are you ready for the Big Game? No watch party is complete without “soup-er good food! Score points with Mindy’s recipe for Crab Chowder in Bread Bowls. Or, provide everyone choices and pick up a variety of fresh, seasonal soups from your Market Kitchen. Whether your team wins or loses, these soup bowls will be the highlight of the game!
How do I make soup-er bread bowls?
Pre-order bread rounds or oversized sourdough rolls from your Market Bakery at least three days in advance. To turn the roll or round into a bowl, start by cutting off the top, horizontally. Then, make a grid in the bread using a knife, being careful not to poke all the way through and leaving a hearty bottom, so the soup doesn’t leak out. Carefully scoop out the bread squares, which can be toasted in the oven and made into croutons for serving on the side or reserving for a future salad.
What about the soup?
Mindy’s recipe for Crab Chowder is a great option for game day. Or pick up a few varieties of soup from your Market Kitchen and provide your guests several scrumptious selections. Choose hot soup from our bar or grab Gourmet Take-Away flavors to heat up at home. We have classic varieties, like Chicken Noodle, Clam Chowder and Mama Leone’s, or seasonal soups, such as Winter Squash and White Bean or Cheddar and Hard Cider. You’ll even find gluten-free friendly and vegan options.
Crab Chowder in Bread Bowls Recipe
6 pieces of bacon
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
6 sm yellow potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
1 T Old Bay seasoning
3 T flour
32 oz Pacific Foods chicken broth
1 c whipping cream
3 c frozen corn
bread rounds or oversized sourdough rolls
1 lb crab meat
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat
- Once crispy, remove bacon and set aside
- To the same pot, add to bacon drippings: onion, celery, potatoes and carrots
- Add salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning
- Once veggies are soft, add flour and whisk in chicken broth and whipping cream until combined and creamy
- Stir in corn
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 min
- Remove top of each bread round or roll by slicing horizontally
- Create grid in bread using knife, then carefully remove bread from inside to create a bowl
- Stir in crab meat and cook 5 min
- Pour soup into bread bowls, sprinkle top with bacon and enjoy