It’s the season of love! Celebrate Valentine’s Day with heart-shaped calzones. This tasty dinner doubles as an activity for the whole family. Each family member creates their own, so everyone is involved in the fun and makes their calzone with all of their favorite ingredients. Use a fork to mark initials in each calzone, so that everyone knows which one is theirs once they’re baked. Using purchased pizza dough and sauce from your Market makes this recipe quick and easy!
What do I put in my calzone?
Any of your favorite pizza toppings! Mindy uses mozzarella, pineapple, pepperoni, ham and olives, but you can include whatever you want. Try salami, mushrooms, bell peppers, chicken, bacon, chèvre, spinach, onions, garlic, ground beef or pesto.
The best part of calzones is that everyone can make whatever their heart desires – picky eaters, we’re talking to you! To avoid messes and mishaps, avoid overfilling your calzones – especially when it comes to the sauce. Mindy suggests pizza sauce for dipping, but you can also enjoy your calzones with ranch dressing or barbecue sauce, instead.
Heart Calzones Recipe
Market of Choice pizza dough
2 containers of Market of Choice pizza sauce
meat, such as pepperoni and ham, sliced extra thin
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Divide dough into 4 individual rounds
3. Set aside and let rest at room temperature
4. Work dough into a flat round on parchment paper
5. Spread pizza sauce on one half of dough
6. Place fillings (mozzarella, pineapple, meat and olives) atop pizza sauce
7. Fold dough over the ingredients, pinching the edges together to create a pocket
8. Bring edges together, cupping them around to make a heart shape
9. Transfer dough to baking sheet lined with parchment paper
10. Pierce top of each calzone with a fork to let the heat escape
11. Brush tops with olive oil
12. Bake 20 min or until golden brown
13. Use the extra pizza sauce for dipping and enjoy!