Mindy Lockard puts her heart into everything she creates, so when it comes to Valentine’s Day, she makes sure to add a little extra – literally! This heart-shaped strawberry shortcake makes a delicious dessert to share with your sweetie or with friends and family. Let your Market Bakery do the baking and pick up our scratch-made shortcake to make this simple recipe even easier. All you need is a carton of strawberries, heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract to make the adorable shortcake toppings!
Do I have to use shortcake?
Of course not! You can use any of your favorite baked goods as a base for this recipe, like brownies, cookies, cake and more. Use chocolate brownies to make this recipe richer or try sponge cake to make it lighter and fluffier. Pick up your favorite baked goods from your Market Bakery to save time or make the shortcake or other baked good from scratch using your favorite recipe.
How do I make the toppings?
Homemade whipped cream is what makes this recipe so delicious. Using an electric hand mixer, combine locally produced heavy whipping cream, like Roseburg-made Umpqua Dairy with granulated sugar and vanilla extract. You will know you are done mixing when you get medium peaks, which means they peaks hold their shape and have curled tops. Don’t overmix. If you don’t want to make the whipped cream yourself, pick up premade whipped cream from your Market.
The next step is to turn the strawberries into cute little hearts. To do this, slice the tops off of each strawberry by angling each side toward the middle to create a heart-shape.
Valentine’s Day Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Market Bakery shortcake, brownies or sponge cake
1 carton of strawberries, rinsed and dried
1 pint Umpqua Dairy heavy whipping cream
¼ c granulated sugar
1 t vanilla extract
medium or large mixing bowl
electric hand mixer
- Cut each strawberry into hearts, cutting the top off on each side, angling in
- Slice strawberries into thirds, vertically
- Pour heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar and vanilla extract into mixing bowl
- Using a hand mixer, whip on high until you start to see medium peaks
- Slice shortcakes in half, horizontally
- Add a generous spoonful of heart-shaped strawberries to shortcake base
- Place top half of shortcake on top of strawberries
- Top with large dollop of whipped cream
- Finish with a heart-shaped strawberry on top and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you may also like our online recipes for Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberry Tiramisu or Caramelized Phyllo Napoleons with White Chocolate Cream and Strawberry-Rhubarb Coulis.