COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Do you offer online ordering for pick up or delivery?
Unfortunately, we don’t have online ordering or delivery in place, and we are unable to implement it at this time. If you are considered high-risk for coronavirus (COVID-19) we welcome you to join us for a “Vulnerable Shoppers Hour” from 7 am – 8 am on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Current hours of operation for the general public are 8 am – 9 pm daily. If you would like to have a friend or relative shop for you, you can purchase a gift card by phone and have your designated shopper pick it up and apply it to your in-store purchases. For store phone numbers, please visit the locations page on our website.
Are seniors or those considered at-risk able to shop at a special time?
If you are considered high-risk for coronavirus (COVID-19), due to age (60+), weakened immune system, disability or pregnancy, we welcome you to join us for a “Vulnerable Shoppers Hour” from 7 am – 8 am on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. All other shoppers, please help us protect our most vulnerable by allowing them to shop during this time. General public hours of operation are 8 am – 9 pm daily, until further notice. Sign up for emails to get the latest updates.
Will employees receive paid sick leave?
The health, safety, and well-being of our teammates is our top priority, and we are especially sensitive to the needs of our employees during this time of emergency. Market of Choice provides paid-time-off benefits that are more generous than the requirements of Oregon Sick Leave, and we are working with our teammates on a case-by-case basis to help ensure they have the support they need if they do miss work due to sickness. Also, as a thank you for embracing the Market of Choice values of exceptional service, quality, atmosphere and teamwork during this time of crisis, hourly employees are earning an additional $2 per hour until this extraordinary workload is reduced.
Are you hiring right now?
We have open positions at several of our Markets, and we’re always seeking new talent. Please visit our careers page to learn about current job openings and to apply.
Do you have toilet paper, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer or health and wellness items in stock?
The industry is experiencing an unprecedented demand on cleaning, sanitizing, cold and flu, and health and wellness products. Like many retailers, we are currently unable to source many of these items. There is also a global shortage of hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. Some naturopathic and supplement-based wellness products are also in increased demand – our buyers are working diligently to source more. If you are unable to find something in our Whole Health departments, please ask one of our staff members to recommend a substitution. We are asking customers to limit their purchase of high-demand products. We’ve placed signs throughout our Markets to indicate items that are in short supply.
Which departments are open and operating?
All departments are currently open and operating, but we’ve had to make some adjustments:
- Dining Areas: Per the Oregon Health Authority, food and beverages may no longer be consumed anywhere inside our stores or in our inside or outside eating areas, until further notice. This includes any ready-made foods from our Market Bakery and Market Kitchen, as well as any food or beverage purchases from the Barista area.
- Self-Serve Areas: We have closed the self-serve areas in our stores. This includes the soup bar, hot bar, salad bar, poke bar, olive bar and wok bar. Hot items will be available from our full-service Market Kitchens, including most of your favorites; pizza will still be available at our kitchens that offer it. Stores with wok bars will have pre-selected options. In addition, some items may be available pre-packaged in our Market Cheese Shop and Gourmet Take-Away cases.
- Fill Stations: All of our Beer & Wine Departments remain open, but we have closed the Fill Stations at our Bend, Belmont and Cedar Mill locations. We are still filling single-use Crowlers from the tap at those locations for the time being. We request that customers do not bring in personal Growlers until further notice.
Can I eat or drink food on the premises?
Per the Oregon Health Authority, food and beverages may no longer be consumed anywhere inside our stores or in our inside or outside eating areas, until further notice. This includes any ready-made foods from our Market Bakery and Market Kitchen, as well as any food or beverage purchases from the Barista area.
What are you doing to ensure cleanliness and safety?
We’ve established a “Vulnerable Shoppers Hour” from 7 am – 8 am on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. All other shoppers, please help us protect our most vulnerable by allowing them to shop during this time. We have a Response Management Team in place, made up of corporate leadership and others, to oversee and manage the current situation, as it pertains to our Markets. The team is meeting regularly to expedite solutions to ensure the highest level of safety for our customers, employees and vendors. Here are some of the many steps we’re taking to protect our customers, employees and vendors:
- Social distancing guidelines tell us to remain a minimum of six feet away from other people whenever possible. To help encourage social distancing, we’re adding tape to the floor at checkout and in other areas of our stores to remind customers to do their part.
- Clear shields have been instituted at our cash registers to create a barrier between customers and cashiers to help promote a safe and enjoyable shopping experience.
- Customers can opt to use reusable shopping bags at checkout but will be asked to bag their own groceries for health and safety reasons. Here are some tips for cleaning reusable bags. Customers who would like their purchases bagged at checkout are being offered paper sacks, which will continue to incur the state-mandated, per-bag fee. For the safety of our teammates, we are suspending our courtesy clerk carry-out service for the time being.
- Stylus cleaning is happening at checkout between each customer interaction. You can help us keep our employees and customers safe by choosing to use the provided stylus or the corner of your debit or credit card on the pin pad when checking out. We are also cleaning carts, baskets and other touchpoints throughout the day.
- In addition to our already rigorous cleaning practices, we’ve added more hand sanitizer stations throughout our Markets, as well as hand-washing stations.
- We have rolled out a new cart cleaning system at all of our Markets. The product we’re using for cart cleaning is a mild disinfectant with a neutral pH, made in the Pacific Northwest and approved by the CDC for combating COVID-19. Cart washing happens multiple times a day.
- We’ve established a “Vulnerable Shoppers Hour” from 7 am – 8 am on Tuesdays & Fridays. All other shoppers, please help us protect our most vulnerable by allowing them to shop during this time.
- We’ve adjusted our general public store hours to be open and operating from 8 am – 9 pm daily, so we can restock items and continue to clean our stores thoroughly.
- We have removed all testers and samples from our Whole Health departments.
- As directed by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC), Market of Choice will not be accepting bottle and can returns until further notice. The temporary action will be in place until further notice.
- To discourage over-purchasing of products and for safety reasons, we are temporarily suspending our refund policy.
- We are staying in touch with the CDC, Oregon Health Authority and industry resources to ensure we have the latest information to help us make the best decisions.
- Staff members have also received additional training to ensure that all of our preventative measures are being carried out.